Look around Richmond and you’ll see the name ‘Brighouse’ in many places. The downtown area of Richmond itself bears the name Brighouse and is named for Samuel Brighouse, who settled in Richmond in the 1860s after returning from the Cariboo Gold Rush. He purchased almost 700 acres, which is now downtown Richmond, and raised cattle and race horses. He purchased 540 acres together with John Morton and William Hailstone, now Vancouver’s West End. They were dubbed the ‘Three Greenhorns’ (people who are inexperienced for a particular activity), stemming from the fact that many others thought the three men paid too much for the land, a whopping $1.01 per acre!
Samuel Brighouse was active in civil politics, petitioning to incorporate Richmond as a municipality and also later served on Vancouver council. He returned to his home country of England two years prior to his death but his name lives on throughout Richmond, where a school, a neighbourhood, a park and even the new Canada Line station across from Richmond Centre honour the contribution he made to this city.
There’s lots to see and do in Brighouse and a choice of many that call it home. Look up properties for sale in Brighouse.
Photo credit: Samuel Brighouse, circa 1860. City of Richmond Archives Reference Collection.